Friday, January 3, 2014

I started a blog in 2010 entitled "A Year of Ultrarunning."  By started, I mean that I signed up on google and created a title for the blog.  I regret now that I never posted anything on that blog, because that year was definitely worth memorializing.  Between August 2010 and August 2011, I ran 2800 miles.  I ran 7 races - 3 of which were 50 milers (1 at altitude), set a marathon PR at Boston (3:05) and finished out my year with the Leadville Trail 100 mile race.  Since then, I have raced a 50K at Big Bend, managed to make it through (just barely) the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim and have had the privilege of pacing two very good friends in their own 100 mile races for 30-40 miles (Leadville and Rocky Raccoon).  What I have done more of though is register for races, pay and no-show (Leadville 50, Boston, NYC Marathon, to name a few) and commit one day to meet friends only to bail on them at 4am or 5am the next morning via text.  (As an aside, I think the advent of texting has severely hindered our ability to commit -- it is so easy to bail at the last minute with technology now.  15 years ago when I started running, if you didn't show up to a run you had committed to, you would probably have lost a friend or two after leaving them running solo in the dark and cold.)  The only thing I have been consistent about is not being consistent!  I have had all of the same excuses that I used to really give people grief about a few years ago (e.g. kids, work, other activities, too tired, etc.) for not getting up consistently when my alarm went off between 4am-5am.  That was my favorite and the one I thought I could really convince people to agree with me on -- what normal person gets up that early everyday!!?!?  The bottom line is that we all have our "stuff."  I have a friend who has a newborn and he is barely getting any sleep, yet, he is consistent.  He shows up every morning and he runs.  He runs because he knows his day will be better if he does.  He knows he will be a better father and husband and that he will be more productive at work.  He doesn't make excuses - he just does it.  I have two other friends who were just diagnosed with some form of cancer and less than a week after they each had a procedure, they both knocked out 30 (yes - THIRTY) miles.  The "stuff" is going to still be there whether you run or you miss your run.  I know that it is easier to deal with the "stuff" after a run - even if that means waking up at 4am.  I know when I don't get up I worry about that run all day.  So, I am committed to being consistent in 2014 - because running not only makes me a better runner, but it makes me a better person.  No matter what your fitness level - if you have ran 100 miles or have never ran 1 mile - it's the same for all of us - it's not easy, but it's well worth it.  So, in the words of Nike - Just Do It!


Leadville Training Camp - June 2011 - The Crew (Me, David, Carrie, Ken Choubler, Sydney, John and Jason)


No comments:

Post a Comment