Thursday, January 16, 2014

Balance - An Urban Myth

For at least the last two decades (maybe more) we have seen this concept of finding "balance" bounced around - mainly by and directed to women, but that's not what I am focusing on here.  As the theory goes, with the right amount of balance in your life you can not only have it ALL, but can be happy while you are having it all.  I have always thought this was just plain ridiculous and still do.  Talk about unrealistic goals!  In the world of balance, I should be able to commit to a consistent running program, meet my nutrition goals, be a competent and successful attorney, be a loving wife, great friend, wonderful cook, raise children who will go out into the world and make it a better place and serve my community -- all I need to do is figure out how to "balance" these interests daily, weekly, monthly, yearly -- problem solved!  As if each of these things can be broken up on a scale in a magical and equitable way so that the scale is perfectly centered.  Because at the end of the day what we really mean by "balance" is equality.  If I work all day, I need to find equal time with my children and husband that very same day.  If I go for a 2 hour run and go into work late, then I need to stay 2 hours later to make that up.  Otherwise, the "balance" in our life disappears and we have failed in some way.  Unfortunately, life is not that neat and tidy.  If you have a client call you at 4pm who needs something the next day, you may have to forgo dinner with your family or your after work run to get that project done.  If you have a newborn baby, good luck keeping all your balls equitably flying in the air.  I fully recognized the year that I ran so much that I was LUCKY to have the opportunity to commit to something that big.  I was in a "due diligence" phase of starting my own practice, my children were small enough that they didn't even realize I ran at all (in fact on my Mother's Day card that year my children listed my hobbies as: napping and eating Kit Kats...nice), getting up at obscene hours of the morning (I met a friend at 1am to run 30 miles before he went to work once) didn't bug me because I didn't have to be "on" by any certain time of the day and I had a group of other nutty people who were doing the very same thing.  After I ran Leadville, I put 100% of the energy that I had put into running for the last several years (particularly that year) into starting my own law practice.  There was no "balance" in either of these situations, but that was o.k.  Sometimes laser focus serves us well - we shouldn't feel bad about it.  Week 3 of trying to stay "consistent" with a traveling husband and so many other obligations has really brought this to the forefront for me.  I will worry less about balance and more about trying to be great at a few things and be alright with just getting by with the others....those things that take center stage will change from week to week, month to month and year to year...that's where you find the balance.




No comments:

Post a Comment