Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Friends - You Need Them!

Sometimes it's nice to turn up your tunes or just completely space out on a solo run, but I find it's much easier to make it through your workout with friends.  I was thrilled to have the company of two of my friends on my run this morning...both very talented ultra-runners.  My goal was to keep them talking so that I could manage my breathing around the 7 mile loop.  I have ran with the same group of people since 2010 (and some longer than that) - these guys are hardcore.  They all regularly run 50-100 mile races and they have managed to stay "consistent" throughout the time that I have known them.  They are not only great people, they are also all really great runners.  It has always been my school of thought that if you want to be a better runner (whatever that means for you: faster, longer, etc.) then run with people who are better runners than you.  If you don't have any friends who run, join a group.  It is definitely worth the expense -- you will meet friends, have people available 24/7 who are actually interested in things like PRs, nutrition, socks, best shoes, chaffing, etc., and more importantly you have accountability.  As I ran with my friends this morning I made my attempts to convince them that I was re-committed to showing up for our runs.  The sarcasm oozed out of their responses to me; but I get that - you have to EARN your way back into a group like mine.  I'm up for the challenge!  So, go call up your friends, make new friends or if all else fails - buy some by joining a group!  

                                                           Grand Canyon R2R2R 
                                        (sadly my buddies this morning not pictured here)

No comments:

Post a Comment