Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Running in Guatemala…Not So Much

One of my best friends invited me to join her and others on a trip to Guatemala for her 40th birthday.  I was more than happy to help her celebrate in a country that I had not traveled to yet.  I told her and the other girls that were going to be sure to pack their running clothes, because we would be getting in at least 3 runs while we were there.  As an aside, I always pack my running clothes when I travel and I use them less than 1% of the time….I just can't seem to wake up early to get the work in when I am on vacation….I'd rather leisurely drink my coffee and plan the day's activities.  BUT, I was re-committed, surely this was going to be my time to make this happen!  As usual, I was indeed overestimating myself and this time my schedule for this vacation.  Did I run?  Not one single time in the 5 days that I was gone.  However, after a little reflection on my activities on this particular trip, I don't feel guilty at all…..  

Day 1: My alarm went off at 3:45am last Thursday for my 6am flight.  I was determined not to check a bag so that I could get in and out of the airport quickly, so my carryon weighed about 50 pounds.  Arm workout - check.  When we arrived in Guatemala, we immediately set off for a "walking" tour of Antigua.  Our guide was very informative and was a fast walker.  We followed him around the city for a few hours.  Cardio - check.  When we arrived back at our hotel, one of the girls traveling with us said she had to plank for 8 minutes because it was part of a 30 day challenge she was doing.  I decided to join.  Core workout - check.  Day 2: Wake up, have coffee - plank.  Core - check.  Hike an active volcano outside of Antigua ("Paycaya").  Hill work - check.  Walk to and from dinner in the rain.  Cardio - check.  Day 3: Hour+ bike ride through several villages outside of Antigua on cobble streets for 3/4 of the trip and on the highway/dirt roads for 1/4 of the trip.  Arm/Leg/Cardio - check.  We then set out for our next destination on Lake Atitlan.  After arriving by boat to our hotel we encountered a sign that said: "350 steps to the entrance of hotel."  Hill work - check.  Day 4: Hike Cerro de Oro in small village on Lake Atitlan.  When we arrived at the top of Cerro de Oro, our native guide told us to wait while he asked the gods if we could go to the top.  Apparently we passed the test and were allowed up.  (This little town is made up of the Maya people - we encountered a Maya ceremony on the way up Cerro de Oro where several Maya "priests" were making a fire and later in the day villagers would arrive at the fire to ask the priests for things they needed….super cool).  After arriving at the top, we asked our guide if the gods would mind if we planked - so, on the top of a mountain on the side of a lake in Guatemala, we dropped down for a plank.  Cardio - check.    Hill work - check.  Core - check.  Cool factor - check.  We then headed over to the zip line in Panajachel.  I had never really done a zip line like this before…..another hike, 8 different zip lines down and then an obstacle course of swinging rope ladders and swings to top it off.  Cardio - check.  Arms - check.  Arrive back at our hotel for another 350 steps up to the entrance.  Hill work - check.  Day 5: travel back to the States.

So, no running, but pretty sure no fitness was lost on this vacation.  Happy Birthday Heather Sasser…it was quite an adventure!!









No comments:

Post a Comment