Thursday, February 6, 2014

Turning a Corner....

I heard my kids at 5:45 this morning, they were convinced it was another snow day.  I told them no way, it's not even sprinkling outside, much less snowing.  Then, I checked my phone...yes, indeed school was delayed for 2 hours and it was about 27 degrees outside, but apparently felt like the teens.  So, why on earth was I dying to get my run in?  I HATE the cold.  I didn't even own a real coat until I went to Chicago in law school in March, thinking it would be balmy there, and had to buy one when I quickly got a taste of "winter."  I would never survive in the Dakotas, Siberia, Antarctica...you get the idea.  On top of this serious disdain for the cold, I had an entire 2 extra hours to sit around, drink coffee, watch the news, take a nap, you name it, until I had to "officially" start my day, at least according to the school authorities that be.  A month ago, this would have been a no-brainer...a fool-proof excuse not to run...people aren't even out driving.  No one would expect me to stick to my "resolutions" today.  Instead of dreading gearing up for a cold run, I couldn't wait to get outside.  Am I ready to move up North?  Uh, no.  But, as I ran this morning it hit me -- it wasn't that I suddenly embraced the cold.  I had turned a corner.  For the first time in a very long time, I looked forward to my run and it did not disappoint.  

No comments:

Post a Comment